This episode of the More Money Podcast is sponsored by Desjardins. Desjardins is on a mission to enrich the lives of Canadians, help build stronger communities, and educate its members so they can confidently reach their financial goals. If you’re looking for an institution that’s making an impact, look no further than Desjardins. To learn more visit Desjardins.com.
“When it comes to money, the advice isn’t going to change. The problem is there are new and exciting ways to spend money.”
– Emily Guy Birken, Author of End Financial Stress Now
What do our money habits say about us? Our relationship with money is just as nuanced and complicated as every other relationship in our life. That’s why my guest today, personal finance freelance writer and author Emily Guy Birken is fascinated by the behaviours and habits we have with our money. Listen to today’s episode to find out more about money psychology and her new book, Stacked: Your Super Serious Guide to Modern Money Management, written with Joe Saul-Sehy.
Emily Guy Birken is a former educator, lifelong money nerd, and a Plutus Award-winning freelance writer and author who specializes in the scientific research behind irrational money behaviours. She has a knack for explaining complex financial topics by making them relatable and easily understandable to her readers. Her newest book, Stacked, is meant for non-money readers to help jumpstart their personal finance journey.
In this episode, Emily shares how she went from English teacher to financial writer and why she’s so interested in how our feelings surrounding money get in the way of progress. Emily also shares how the idea for her newest book came to be with co-writer Joe Saul-Sehy. Plus, Emily talks about why she believes perfection has no place in personal finance.
Things I Mentioned in the Episode
- Buy Emily’s books, Stacked: Your Super Serious Guide to Modern Money Management written with Joe Saul-Sehy, The 5 Years Before You Retire, and End Financial Stress Now.
- I have another podcast! Listen here to Clean Slate by Desjardins hosted by yours truly
- Jessica’s Instagram & YouTube channel, Tiktok
- I’m giving away copies of all the books featured in this season of the podcast! To enter, visit jessicamoorhouse.com/contests
- My free resource library, where you can find budget spreadsheets & more!
- Apply to enroll in my investing course Wealth Building Blueprint for Canadians
- Check out my shop!
Looking for Financial Help?
Looking for some financial help during these challenging and uncertain times? Check out my investing course and budget spreadsheets on my shop page