This episode of the More Money Podcast is sponsored by Desjardins. Desjardins is on a mission to enrich the lives of Canadians, help build stronger communities, and educate its members so they can confidently reach their financial goals. If you’re looking for an institution that’s making an impact, look no further than Desjardins. To learn more visit Desjardins.com.
“You can’t just think that the degree is going to open the door.”
– Dr. Zakiya Akerele, Author of Dump Your Degree
Like many millennials, I was sold the idea that as long as I got a degree, I’d be able to secure a well-paying job and have a long and successful career. However, as I soon learned after graduation, a degree is no longer a guarantee of anything (besides years of debt repayments perhaps). That’s why I knew I needed to have Dr. Zakiya Akerele on the podcast to discuss her new book, aptly named Dump Your Degree, to explore how to make the most out of your degree anyway and how to give your career a headstart if you’re still working towards your diploma.
Dr. Akerele is an Atlanta-based educator and speaker. She received her Ph.D. at Fordham University and has served in various capacities at higher education institutions and at social justice, political, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) both in the U.S. and abroad. She’s also the author of Dump Your Degree: How to Repurpose Your Education, Control Your Career, and Gain Financial Freedom.
In this episode, Dr. Akerele shares what led her as a passionate educator to write this book, as well as what advice is no longer relevant for Gen Z when it comes to higher education, and why she thinks mentors are vital to a burgeoning career. She also gives some great tips on how to network with the connections you already possess.
Things I Mentioned in the Episode
- Get a signed copy of Dr. Akerele’s book here or pick up a copy here.
- I have another podcast! Listen here to Clean Slate by Desjardins hosted by yours truly
- Jessica’s Instagram & YouTube channel, Tiktok
- I’m giving away copies of all the books featured in this season of the podcast! To enter, visit jessicamoorhouse.com/contests
- My free resource library, where you can find budget spreadsheets & more!
- Apply to enroll in my investing course Wealth Building Blueprint for Canadians
- Check out my shop!
Looking for Financial Help?
Looking for some financial help during these tough and uncertain times? Check out my investing course and budget spreadsheets on my shop page