This episode of the More Money Podcast is sponsored by Desjardins. Desjardins is on a mission to enrich the lives of Canadians, help build stronger communities, and educate its members so they can confidently reach their financial goals. If you’re looking for an institution that’s making an impact, look no further than Desjardins. To learn more visit Desjardins.com.
“These experiences you are having are real, even if the rest of your environment is trying to make it out that they’re not.“
– Alan Henry, Author of SEEN, HEARD, AND PAID
Have you ever felt like you aren’t being seen or heard at the office? Or have you experienced micro-aggressions from your co-workers before? Unfortunately, you’re not alone. After writing an article in the New York Times called “How to Succeed When You’re Marginalized or Discriminated Against at Work,” my guest and journalist Alan Henry went on to write his newly released book Seen, Heard, and Paid, a book all about navigating toxic work environments and giving marginalized groups of people the tools they need to succeed in their careers.
Alan Henry is a prominent journalist, editor, and author. He was previously the Smarter Living editor at The New York Times and the editor-in-chief of the productivity and lifestyle blog Lifehacker. He is now the author of the newly released book, Seen, Heard, and Paid: The New Work Rules for the Marginalized and is the senior editor at Wired.
In this episode, Alan shares how his experiences in a toxic work environment led him to write his new book. He also shares what language to use when you experience microaggressions at work and also what quantifies as a microaggression. Alan shares the importance of having “psychology safety” at work and why his most significant tip is to keep a work diary. This is a jam-packed conversation you don’t want to miss!
Things I Mentioned in the Episode
- Buy Alan’s book, Seen, Heard, and Paid: The New Work Rules for the Marginalized
- Sign-up for Alan’s newsletter, Productivity, Without Privilege
- I have another podcast! Listen here to Clean Slate by Desjardins hosted by yours truly
- Jessica’s Instagram & YouTube channel
- I’m giving away copies of all the books featured on this season of the podcast! To enter, visit jessicamoorhouse.com/contests
- My free resource library, where you can find budget spreadsheets & more!
- Apply to enroll in my investing course Wealth Building Blueprint for Canadians
- Check out my shop!
Looking for Financial Help?
Looking for some financial help during these tough and uncertain times? Check out my investing course and budget spreadsheets on my shop page