This episode of the More Money Podcast is sponsored by The Globe and Mail. Want to invest in yourself and start a new morning ritual of reading The Globe and Mail like I do? The Globe is offering listeners of the More Money Podcast a special digital subscription rate for unrestricted access to everything on globeandmail.com. Visit tgam.ca/Jessica to take advantage of this limited-time offer.
“We’re going to see a lot of changes in the art world that are going to carry forward beyond the pandemic.“
– Rob Cowley, President, and Co-Founder of Cowley Abbot
This season on the podcast we’ve been exploring alternative ways to invest your money and in this episode, we’re diving into the Canadian art world. To help navigate how to invest in art is Rob Cowley, a Canadian Art Specialist and the President and Co-Founder of Cowley Abbott.
Rob Cowley is a Canadian Art Specialist who first started as a clerk at an auction house in Toronto in 2000. In 2013, Rob and his coworker Lydia Abbott set out on their own and founded the auction house, Cowley Abbott. Cowley Abbott bridges the gap between traditional art auction services and the online fine art marketplace. Cowley Abbott’s live and online auctions have included headline-grabbing and record-setting works while providing Canadians with the expertise they need when it comes to purchasing art.
In this episode, Rob shares how the pandemic caused a boom in the Canadian fine art market. He also answers my many questions about how this sort of investment works in terms of depreciation and the other costs involved in buying art. Rob also gives a great explanation about what exactly NFTs are and how they protect and benefit digital artists.
This episode is full of great insider knowledge on the art world and how its become more accessible to newbie art investors, which is great news for anyone looking into alternative investments!
Things Mentioned in This Episode
- Check out upcoming events hosted by Cowley Abbott
- Want to learn more about the artwork you already own? Head to the Cowley Abbott website for more info.
- Jessica’s Instagram & YouTube channel
- I’m giving away copies of all the books featured on this season of the podcast! To enter, visit jessicamoorhouse.com/contests
- My free resource library, where you can find budget spreadsheets & more!
- Apply to enroll in my investing course Wealth Building Blueprint for Canadians
- Check out my shop!
Looking for Financial Help?
Looking for some financial help during these tough and uncertain times? Check out my online courses and budget spreadsheets on my new shop page