Ok, so I am fully jumping on a blog trend right now and thus have compiled a list of 20 random things about me to give all you readers a closer look into the life of Jessica Moorhouse, the Personal Finance Blogger. Blonde on a Budget, Making Sense of Cents, and probably a slew of other bloggers have all written posts with fun facts about themselves already (which I loved reading) and I’ve decided to join in the fun too.
I was actually thinking of writing a post like this a little while ago, but I wasn’t sure if I really want to divulge that much info about my personal life yet. After publishing my post about why I chose not to be an anonymous blogger last week, I had a change of heart. I’m a proud public blogger, and as long as I’m not blogging my social insurance number out on the Internet, what’s a few harmless tidbits about myself gonna do? Let’s begin:
1. I have a BFA in Film Production because I thought I wanted to be a filmmaker when I grew up. After 5 years of post-secondary education, and a few short films under my belt, I realized as much as I love film, I don’t want to be working 14-hour days in the rain without any job stability or health benefits. I knew I wanted to get married and have a family one day so I decided after my degree to change course on the career front.
2. That being said after I graduated from university I circulated my graduating short film “Catechism” to a number of festivals and did quite well if I do say myself. I got my amazing older sis to build me a website for my production company, I won a few awards, and if you are interested and live in Canada you can watch the full film here.
3. I considered going to law school after graduating from university. I love watching Law & Order and I knew being a lawyer would enable me to have the financial security that I always dreamed of. Then I took the practice LSAT test. After getting almost every question wrong, I realized law school wasn’t for me.
4. I don’t like berries. That’s right. None of them. I only like things with a fake berry taste. I don’t know why but to this day I refuse to eat anything with berries in it.
5. I’m also not much of a fruit fan. Sure I like bananas and apples, but otherwise, I’d be fine if I never ate fruit again. I do however love vegetables. Not all vegetables. What’s eggplant all about? Ok, let’s just say I’m a very picky eater.
6. I’m left-handed. Apparently so was my older sis when she was younger but my parents “corrected” her. I guess they gave up on me so now I have to try not to smudge everything I write when using an ink pen.
7. I was in highland (Scottish) dancing for 2 years when I was in elementary school. I loved it because I felt fancy wearing a kilt, but I was a terrible dancer, hated the tight leather shoes, and hated competing. Plus the fact that I was allowed to dance around swords as a kid still boggles my mind.
8. I used to be an amazing cartoonist when I was younger. I would be the kid you went to in class if you needed help drawing something. Unfortunately, my skills are a bit rusty now but my dad who was my drawing teacher is one of the most amazing artists I know. He frickin’ painted Van Gogh’s Sunflowers for our kitchen and it looks spot on!
9. I used to play rugby in high school as a winger. I may be short and small, but I was fast! I’m considerably slower now and that’s why I no longer play rugby. Plus those adult rugby women are huge!
10. I am deathly afraid of spiders. Yeah, I know a lot of people have this phobia but I once had to call my roommate from inside my room because a spider was at my door and I couldn’t open it. Then I got her boyfriend to kill it for me.
11. I’ve never finished reading Lord of the Rings. I finished the first book and half of the second one but I just couldn’t do it. Just drop that ring in that stupid fire already!
12. I have a weakness for anything period-piece. Seriously, name it, I’ve seen it. That also includes trashy romance novels. Whatever, I know I’m not alone and I’m not ashamed!
13. If I laugh really hard, I snort. It’s not pretty.
14. I’ve worked in customer service for over 5 years at A&W, Blockbuster, Jacob Connexion, and my university’s bookstore, and in two of those jobs, I was forced to leave because they closed down. Blockbuster was by far the best part-time job I’ve ever had.
15. I’ve been almost everywhere in Canada except for Newfoundland, Ontario, and Manitoba. Okay fine, I’m not counting the Yukon, North-West Territories, or Nunavut, but let’s be honest, those places are mainly ice anyway.
16. One of the things on my bucket list is to be a character on a reality show. I don’t care if it’s a bit part on Property Virgins or one of the zany people on Come Dine With Me Canada. I’m gonna be on some show one day, I just know it.
17. I love cats, well some cats, nice cats, but I’m not much of a dog person. They are darn cute to look at but man they seem like a lot of work.
18. I definitely want to go on a long backpacking trip around Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. I don’t know when, but definitely, before I’m 30.
19. I’ve had whooping cough, scarlet fever, and malaria, and somehow I’m still alive.
20. As proven in the image above, I don’t have many good photos of myself without other people in them. This is sadly one of the best ones I’ve got. This particular photo was taken on my trip to Vegas last summer. That was by far the biggest caesar salad I’ve ever had. Man, I love the Cheesecake Factory.
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment